Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Fantastic Baby

This is a very late post. End of February this year, the K-Pop band BIGBANG released their newest album, Alive. Of course, being the fangirl that I am, I bought their album off iTunes almost immediately.

TOP. The only asian guy who can probably pull off blue hair and still look like that gorgeous.

My first thought was that their sound had changed a bit, maybe got too synthetic for my liking, and much more like Western Pop than before. Then I started to wonder how TOP could maintain a straight face while singing boom shakalaka in Fantastic Baby. Of course, when you're that good-looking, a lot of things are forgivable.

In the end, after listening to the album a few times, I found the songs more likeable than I had initially found them to be. In fact, despite me wincing at the translation of the lyrics, I've been hooked on their Bad Boy for a few days now. Probably partially out of regret for not being able to go to NYC to stalk their shooting of their videoclip, no thanks to the three exams I had impending the following week...

I liked the suited-up approach to their last album, Tonight, a lot better than the crazy costumes for the Fantastic Baby MV, but I guess the craziness must be part of the entire futuristic theme. Too much like LMFAO costumes for me to like though, I much preferred the classier GD & TOP MVs from their debut album.

BigBang performing a song from the album Alive in Inkigayo.

GD & TOP in their debut album in 2010.

Not that that's stopped me from stalking all their new MVs and live performances, as well as random behind the scene videos. Especially ones of SeungRi teaching a bit of the dance moves from each performance: any girl would swoon. I like their live performances more than their MVs though, they looked cooler to me, especially the ones they did in Inkigayo. As performers, both in the vocals and the dancing, Big Bang gets better year after year. And all their songs are always fun to dance to, so if you happen to live near my residence hall, be warned. That crazy chick dancing near the window on the third floor, that's probably me.

No comments:

Post a Comment